Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by 73 cj5, Jan 30, 2022.
The fel pro gasket I measured was .082" thick. Going back together...
Is that the tbi already?
I hope you kept the piece you cut out of the hood. Looks like you could seal it back up and go incognito.
Why of course I kept it.
I got this thing wired up and the initial start was great but I noticed it is reading almost 1k rpm more than what it actually is and I think because of that it's running excessively rich. I'm assuming it's reading such a high rpm is because I'm using a V8 distributor. I'll dig around and see if I can find a stock distributor and try it out.
I hopped in my time machine and retrieved the old points distributor, coil, and wires. It seems to be running correctly now after I fouled out all the plugs. I can't believe I'm running points with fuel injection.
Replaced the spark plugs. Running better now.
Now there is an oil leak at the oil pan.
I drove around town for about an hour this evening trying to let the efi do its learning process. It definitely runs better and throttle response has improved greatly. If you've ever had to wake up a cold fhead you know the fight to keep it alive until it warms up and with the old 2bbl, it was twice as bad as the old Solex. Now it turns over a couple of times and it's running.
I want to make one of the Hot Springs trips this year and since I'll have some disposable income I ordered 5.38s....came very close to pulling the trigger on an ARB for the 14b but other things need to be addressed.
The closest thing to rock crawling I can think of near me. There are three other places in Alabama but they're a farther drive.
Current crawl: 48:1
New crawl: 69:1
I would regear the transfer case since there's a 2.46 gear set and tapered roller bearing upgrade in the toolbox but I'm not sure if the gears would mesh with the D20 PTO.
When I had the 33s there were 4.88s in the diffs and I felt that ratio worked well for both on the road and off road. (Crawl: 63:1)
I aim to add steering assist after regearing. New tires are on the To Do list as well....
I've been daily driving the 3b the past week.
Finally did a flex test this evening. Drove up the side of the creek. It was like driving up a wall the first go around.
Time to raise the fenders. Be sure to have lots of photos and details of the modification (I'll need to do the same on my B)
Way more fun than testing on a ramp!
Definitely, the closest ramp is ~2 hours away.
Re: Drove up the side of the creek. Something I couldn't do on the old 33's. The front bumper acted as a shovel the first go around.
Cut up a few trees and put the 3b on skidder duty this afternoon. Surprisingly has plenty of grunt in 1st (high range) with the 3.73s. I have the 5.38s but haven't felt like swapping gears yet.
Last two trees of the day.
And to top off a great weekend we boiled some crawfish (37 lbs).
Drove the 3b back from the farm a few days ago and got around to washing it off today.
Guess I'll finally be throwing in the 5.38s and doing a few other small things next.
I tore the D60 down a week or so ago to throw in 5.38s and got distracted and didn't feel like fooling with it. Yesterday I got back to throwing in the new gear set and getting it buttoned up.
One broken locking hub was found. While under the front I grabbed the pitman arm and found there's a decent amount of play in the steering gear now. I threw in the same shim stacks that came out and it looked about right so back together it went.
No oil really, mainly water and metal grease.
Picked up a crusty Saginaw box tapped for hydro assist from a guy I wheeled with at Sicily. I still haven't regeared the 14b. One day I'll find the motivation to mess with it again.
Holy pitman arm bend!!
I went for a drive with the new gears. The fhead is happier cruising and low range is really nice. Replaced a few problem switches that rusted/corroded from its time on the coast also. I don't know what I'm going to do next just yet because as of late it's been collecting dust in the shop.
I adjusted the clutch and went for a drive. The linkage is the only thing I can think of that's original to the Jeep. It's been cut and welded where the eyelets wore out and everything.
3b looked alright this evening after a small rain washed off some of the dust.
Drove it to the parts store to get some stuff for the CJ5 project.
The real reason it gets to be inside the shop...I really don't like the fuel cell since it takes up the already nonexistent cargo space. I'm going to try and modify the old 10 gallon fuel tank. The diff cover takes up quite a bit of real estate so *almost* the entire front half will need to be cut out to clear it. If I can make this work I doubt it'll even hold 7 or 8 gallons but we'll see. I just have to focus on not blowing myself up when I cut it open.
Separate names with a comma.