Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by Focker, Jul 23, 2016.
Ran the crap out of it, 230 miles. When I refilled the diff I came up about a pint short of fluid. Sitting here was an unopened 20+ year old bottle of Slick 50 diff fluid. Topped it with that. Damn if it isn't noticeably less clunky
Had to do a quick merge for a few miles of road driving. I can report it pulled nicely to 5k in third and had plenty left..
No locking hubs?
Superglued that flapper wheel back together?
I’m gonna miss that metal smashing sound next year.
Working great -so far.
Yes, I've got Selectro's. I should have said on the street, hubs locked, & a foot & a half of Snow.
Looks very familiar.
As long as the engine and weather hold together, we should have a decent weekend.
My shock mounts were on way too much an angle. Kind of needed them angled to fit the old shocks with the tube on the bottom. Going to cut the other side off tomorrow to swap them and try to get them straight vertical.
@Buildflycrash I've been running a few of my shocks upside down without any noticeable issue so far.
I recently bought the Blistine shocks that are made to run tube up. I have destroyed other shocks running tube up. YRMV.
I had a light day for a change. Futzed for a few hours. Off to the yard for the Fusion/Focus fan, radiator, cooler parts. Ill nab an overflow tank and fuse/ relay box too.
Not sure I'm keen on this AA ps box mount. I'm going to replace the factory cross member and move it forward under the grille. With the box that high it requires a good bit of sectioning. Probably roll my own, mounted a little lower.
I wired up my new dash today with the GPS Speedometer 6 gang Rocker switch panel, four gauges, ignition switch and power outlet.
Wire to new fuse panel, under floor high/low beam switch and dual lighing relays.
Another mass of colored noodles that will supply the rear wire harness, engine controls etc.
three open, fused and switched terminal left for Heater, wipers and ?????
I tried so hard to make my wiring look neat, but yours looks pristine compared to mine! Good work!
I was reminded that “things are not always as they first appear” (thanks @Oldpappy ).
Fixed this little booger on my oil dipstick so it won’t slip anymore and make me think I’m burning oil and looking like a dip stick myself.
I figured out the thump, thump. With the front end on jack stands, the left front wheel easily spun, but the right front wheel was more difficult to turn. As I rotated the wheel, I could feel there were two spots per revolution where the shoes inside the drum grabbed the drum. I got my wife to press the brake pedal. With the brakes fully applied, it had no effect on the right front wheel. I could still rotate it. That explains why the jeep pulls very hard to the left when braking. Removing the drum and my wife applying the brake, I could see the wheel cylinder didn't not move at all.
Also the drum was bent. Maybe the PO smashed it on a rock or tried to pound the drum off of seized shoes. That caused the thump, thump.
I ordered new wheel cylinders and drums from RockAuto. Even though I got a shipping notice the next day, it took two weeks to go from Pennsylvania to Seattle. Perhaps the shipment was affected by the recent Amtrak derailment in Montana. I installed the new wheel cylinder and bled the brake.
I replaced both front drums. The wheel turns smoothly now and the jeep stops straight when braking. The thump, thump is gone.
Installed a fuel pump block off plate on my 231.
Separate names with a comma.