Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by Danefraz, Sep 12, 2012.
Gah. Unintended fumble. I moved some hosting around. Will frind backups tomorrow and beaming pix it.
bigger lift on the photos than I thought. Sigh. still working on rounding them up
I went thru my beaming pix garage tonight. Tossed out over 100 images of misc stuff not jeep related. Put other photos into albums to organize stuff.
I'll start on finding the old pictures and start over with some organized stuff tomorrow night. eyelids heavy.
Still working on restoring earlier picts.
Here is today’s problem. I am tempted to make a notch in the hat channel. Or add a second body mount puck. Third thought, and not sure, but i could add another 1/4” shim to the transmission cross member. I think i need more than a 1/4 tho.
This is part of the T98/ conversion.
I just got it all lined back up after 5yrs.
I think I will try adding a 3/8" shim to the transmission cross member (already has two 1/4" shims) to lower it a smidge, then add a 1/4in plate shim to each of the body mounts. This seems the least intusive way to add a little clearance to the tub in that spot.
When I was running an overdrive with my t-18, I had to run 1.5” spacer between the frame and the crossmember. I have aftermarket poly body mounts too.
Thanks for that note. It helps.
I have aftermarket poly bushings, they're 0.75". I was afraid of that amount of droop - seems like it'll be a bit steep at the engine. Whelp, I will be prepared to add more shim on the crossmember.
holy schmoly. still looking for photos from the 'beginning' to rescue the broken ones.
It is a process.
1) photos are generally 'candid' and not sorted.
2) like boxes in a garage, often times they're just left in heaps with little organization.
3) It's not entirely impossible to find them all, but it does take time to root thru a 2TB drive where the were all 'backed up' once upon a time.
I'm paying the penalty for items 1 to 3 above.
played 'work on jeep in the garage' a little this afternoon.
I simply cut 3/8in x 2in plate into some squares to make some shims for the body mounts. had to drill a hole in each of them. Drilling holes takes a long time. sigh. but I have a pile of steel wool and shavings that'd fill a couple of soda cans.
I originally started to use a hole saw and drill out 3/8in thick by 2in pucks... but I spent like 15min cutting the first puck, and only got about 1/2 way thru the 3/8 plate... my drill press doesn't have enough HP (it's only 1/4HP) to keep the bit turning... with about 7 more pucks to make, 'fugitaboutit'...
Oh, and I had to cut some threads on (4) 7/16" grade 8 bolts... just needed to extend the threads about 1/2 in or so onto the shank... that was a pile of fun. Got the ol' die mounted in the die wrench (?) and then shoved one side of that in the bumper clevis mount, held on tight and set the air-impact to a low setting and hit the bolt head ... and a little forward, a little reverse at a time... and done.
I cut a four more pieces of 3/8in flat bar, 3 1/2 in long and drilled a couple holes in them to make more shims to lower the transmission. Transmission is now lowered 1 1/4".
I also realized that the front springs were mounted differently (one reversed from the other), so I fiddled around with the air gun, a floor jack, and both a 2x4 and a big-honkin screw driver for a levers. I have now only 1/4 inch difference in ride height from
I managed to fix the spring; add 3/8 of an inch 'body lift' and lowered the transmission a total of 1 1/4 inches. after bolting the tub on, I have about 1/4 inch of clearance at the hat channel for the overdrive to clear...
I think I need to replace the center pins on the rear springs, that's a to-do from a long while ago.
I think I'm just about ready to pull the tub one last time and slather some 'spruce tip green' on it.
After rooting through about 32,000 photos amounting to about 87GB of data, I think I found enough of the old photos to reconstruct...
Watchout there's bees in the clover. Will start poking them back into the thread, may be this time with a little more intention and organization.
Ok, working on steering finally. It is a good quarantine activity.
mocking up moving new tilt column up a total of 3in from bottom of dash. (Top of column are 3in from bottom).
Mounted the driver seat and played with steering wheel heights. Wow.
felt great to climb in and sit there and make jeep noises with my mind, the wind blew thru what little of my hair, as storm clouds went over. I imagined the fumes, the squeaks, the rattles and the low rumble of the odd fire...
grinder out, hole saw out, cut the dash. welder out and added some backing metal, wooo weee progress is slow but forward.
Awesome! Keep at it, I expect to see that thing on the road when I roll through in my Jeep for C zone hunting!
Separate names with a comma.