Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by pfmg, Aug 16, 2016.
Wow, That is a really nice pair of jeeps!!
That grey/red Willy's is in my top 3 favorite Jeep's category, this other one is climbing the list quickly. Such a cool set of rigs.
Any plans to flip your tire-rods on the 3B?
I probably should have, but every small change with the steering install, caused 5 other things to need changing, its just so tight in there. It is all a compromise.
There was a request for more steering pics
We all know how tight space is in these Willys, i have been struggling to find space for 2 OX shifter and an Ebrake, Think i have it locked down, using the toolbox. Gives me a good space in the box to turn the front cable forward.
Yeh, I totally know what all those knobs and buttons and levers do, uh huh, yes I do...
Yup - I have the same setup...
I mounted my OX levers on the metal frame I built for the seats to tie to the roll cage. They sit between the seats as well that way.
Been working on the 3B a bit, got the brake lights working, it was a combination of bad headlight switch and some bad connections. Spent some time on the winch mount, i had someone cut the winch plate for me which helped out sooo much, then cut a little here, welded a little here...then BAM, winch is mounted.
Got a few hours in today. Only to run into an stupid problem. When i was doing the OX lockers i had a couple people tell me to use their electric shifting kit, it would be much easier to install instead of trying to find a spot for the shifters and running the cables. But in an old willys i wanted the simplicity of the shifter. So i spent a lot of time just looking for a place to mount the shifters that would work with the cable routing. As we all know, there is just not much room in these little jeeps. Finally buttoned it down today and was getting it done, the rear shifter and cable are in I’m happy with it, Started on the front and i just could not get the front cable to install on the axle end. Spent 2 hours screwing with it. Finally found out there was an issue with the shift fork on the diff. The cable is supposed to thread into it. OR it would if it was threaded. My shift fork in not threaded...must have slipped through quality control, so annoying!. So i Have to call OX on Monday. I was able to shift gears and get the ebrake installed. Used lokar stuff to the rear explorer disks, worked out good, still a tough install with the lever and cables.
I guess that’s why you need to read the directions sometimes, it appears the cable does not thread into the shift fork on the newer ox lockers. So after draining the diff to pull the cover it’s all back together, both cables are run.
Nice work Bud. Its almost times for a tech night at your house. Winter is killing me.
I like the WO symbol in the winch plate in front!
Separate names with a comma.