Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by duffer, Oct 21, 2013.
Hey John, Glad to see your back making chips.........
Very nice work.
Great to see some movement on this one - really looking forward to following along!
Finally getting things kicked off dead center.
Front shackle hanger welded to frame and finished shackle which I had to mill a little relief into. Front of the hanger is even with front of bumper. The tapper is reversed from stock to give me clearance for the pitman arm on the left side.
And the square deal engine is going together.
More progress. Disassembled the PSC assist cylinder and installed an internal stop I machined out of Delrin.
A 1/4" pin face spanner is required to get the gland off the cylinder. I had to turn down the pins on one side of my OTC adjustable spanner to fit but it worked well. The last time I actually used that tool was maybe 15 years ago on a 5" Caterpillar cylinder-----
The finished but not welded to axle yet assist cylinder bracket.
And yesterday, I finished the drag link adapter for the power steering control valve. I made it out of 4140 and was certainly happy I had carbide inserts. I'm going to preheat when I weld it to the DOM tube and made six 1/2" holes in the tube to plug weld. Need to come up with a rotating holder for the welding.
Engine progress: For full disclosure, I have a professional engine builder helping with this. You will note a little whittling on the block for rod clearance. At least with this block, there is a lot of material you can whittle.
I still need to deal with the induction. Leaning towards ProFlo 4 but a Victor Jr based manifold isn't ideal for the application. Something like a Dart SHP dual plane machined for the injectors and rails would be more appropriate. As near as I can calculate, the needed CFM's should not exceed 700 with the Jones cam.
Last week, I got the sector box mounted and shaft to steering column fitted. I still like how simple and sanitary a C3 Saginaw box works out.
I also added a splice to the 1/4" frame plating that the machine shop I bought it from put on there 60 something years back. It will give me a clean slate for new shock towers.
Down to messaging the intake manifold spacers on the new mouse power. I need to remodel my balancer installer for the crank snout. The threads are recessed about 2" deeper than on stock cranks. One of today's tasks.
Sort of getting that "new" vehicle feeling but there is still a ton of work to do on the chassis. patience-------
Looks Pretty Sharp ...John............I hope you get your 5-point harness's installed for everyone on-board ..........as I feel the first time you leg that little angry small block it well probably make everyone a little excited!!!
So what is the deck height on that motor that required spacers for the manifold? Are those spacers going to be angled?
Terry, the deck height is 9.325". The spacers are milled .250" thick. You can see the corner of the left bank spacer peeking out from under the paper towel. The gallery end spacers are screwed to the block. The configuration of the side spacers is going to require a big dab of RTV in the corners. I'm not sure why Dart beveled the bottom corners of those. On the plus side, the intake ports are almost perfect sized to the heads but I do need to enlarge the coolant passages.
I didn't get 5 point harness but do have rather robust Corbeau 4 point versions. That said, I have absolutely no plans to test them. The whole plan was just a bunch of low end torque in a light package. The next owner can turn it into a screamer with a change of lifters and cam and/or a little boost. I wouldn't mind trying the latter but there just isn't any real estate available for either a blower drive or turbos-at least that wouldn't get summarily removed in the rocks. The short block is plenty stout enough to take some boost.
But then why? It will be well over 500 ft lbs in the NA state.
What is your guestimate of weight savings over an iron block and heads? I now have engine envy.
All together, block, heads, water pump, intake-I'm guessing about 200 lbs. I fully intend to put it on a scale before installation. Expecting someplace in the 375 to 400 lb range.
Wow, that’s really starting to look like a piece of fine jewelry!
Can’t wait to see it all come together!
After batting around the various induction options and whether or not they will actually fit in the engine bay, I decided to stick with the Victor Jr based manifold. Not terrible but a front throttle body/tunnel ram would have no doubt given a better bottom end. But most of those are right side throttle which would necessitate more work. My foray into TPI resulted in what most everyone already knew-that even with "high flow" aftermarket pieces this engine would likely fall flat on its face 1500 rpms before it does with the Victor Jr.
Comp Cams Dyno-Sim 5 results
Finished all the welding on the front frame horns today. Time for some paint.
Sector box mount:
Very nice , Lots of Iron up there........
The engine is almost ready to install. I had the PS pump and all the belts on it but removed them to weld up a skid plate for the pan (will be mounted off the front motor mount holes). Still need to figure out where I can place the oil filter but that will have to wait until it is between the frame rails.
Hey John, How about a little warning to wear some protective lenses for brightness............Looks Good........take a picture cause it probably won't look that way again!
Front axle finally coming together.
I see Lock o Matics on there. Probably the only lockout hub that will take the torque you'll be putting to them!
Everything is looking awesome (literally!)
I have the same opinion of the Lock-O-Matics. When in "auto" mode, all the load is on that very beefy steel ring.
Separate names with a comma.