Here’s my effort to cure the Photobucket ransomware disease that has plagued many. This is condensed from my original post. This first entry covers 11 years of work, dating back to 2006. The following paragraph qualifies my Gem of the Rockies statement. I sold my last CJ in the early 90's due to family pressures, but I kept all service manuals. I always knew I would have another one someday. After wheeling with a friend in 2004, the CJ bug bit hard and I was looking again. After over a year of finding junk pile after junk pile, my search continued but at a more leisurely pace. In July of 2006, I planned a Colorado hiking trip with 3 friends. It rained on us most of the day for our drive to the trail head in the Holy Cross wilderness (central CO). We started to set up tents, but I suggested making a detour to Leadville because I knew of a decent motel there. That idea was met with much enthusiasm. We got our rooms and drove thru town. I spied an orange CJ for sale at a local grocery store. I immediately recognized the V6 emblem, but was unfamiliar with the Renegade II stripe. The price was $4200, and included a winch. I called the number and was able to drive it within the hour. It stumbled and hesitated upon acceleration but smoothed out for steady driving. It pulled dangerously hard during braking. I intentionally drove into the ditch and surprised my buddy. The 4WD drive seemed to work fine. The body was in very good shape. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see large nuts on the rear axle shaft ends (I didn't know then they were flanged axles). I was also impressed with the 4:88 tags on each differential. It was no surprise this Jeep was spunky, although it needed carb work. I didn't like the 3 speed and knew I would have to change that. I offered the owner $3200. We didn't make the deal as he was firm on his $4000 price. About six weeks later, the owner called me, and said he hadn't gotten any better offer so he'd sell everything for $3200. Strangely enough, I had planned to call him and offer him more money that same week after learning more about the unusual RII! I mailed him the money, he sent me the title and I quickly planned another trip to CO to retrieve my Jeep. The owner and I work in the same professional industry so I had little concern about the long distance transaction. I rented a trailer (not from U-Haul since I drive an Explorer - but that's a different story). I got two Colorado vacations that year. My wife went with me to get the Jeep. One of the most ironic things about finding this Jeep was that my original travel plan would have NEVER taken us through Leadville had it not been for the rain! So, to me, Gem of the Rockies is fitting. Here are the pictures I took while in CO July 2006: It is not my intent to do any significant body work for several years. I will wheel this vehicle and have fun with it. I am not worried about the occasional scratch or dent that typical off-roading usually provides. This 225 runs very well, and I don't plan to do any work to it, even cosmetic, for some time. Please don't judge this Jeep by the appearance of the engine - I know it's dirty! February 2007: After learning more about the RII, I found that original wheels would be nearly impossible to find. I wanted the oval shaped slots anyway. Thanks to the eBay Want-It-Now feature, Ken in PA & UPS, I not only have slots, I also have 33” x 10.50 BFG Mud Terrain’s! Here’s Ken’s truck before he sold me his wheels. …and my CJ with the “new” rubber (no suspension lift yet). March 2007: I like the low profile Ramsey since it doesn’t obscure much of the Jeep grill. It needed a mounting kit, however. Since the advertised application range for Ramsey’s CJ mounting kit was for ‘70-‘86 CJ’s, I figured this would be an easy bolt-on. It was quickly apparent that the forward holes (in the non-boxed frame area) were not aligned with the winch plate brackets. I called Ramsey and they apologized for the misprint in their manual. They said it should read ‘76-‘86. I fabricated some plugs from ¾” bolts and welded them in place so that I wouldn’t end up with elongated holes. I had to use sleeves at the rear holes to compensate for hole size discrepancy and to properly support the boxed section. The final installation: By the way, here is a wench (seems to be commonly confused with winch). May 2008: After much review (and recommendation of this site) about the BDS suspension kit, I opted to install it. I also replaced the frame bushings with poly bushings, and installed HD Warrior shackles. This is an exceptional upgrade, and I continue to recommend the same. September 2008 I have owned the RII for 2 years now. I have continued to look for a Jeep, even though I have what I want, just to make sure this is the one in which I want to invest time and money. I haven’t found anything since, so here goes! I’m going to fix this one up and make it a keeper. I didn’t like the way the PO P/S pump brackets looked so I tried a couple of factory type options. The first was from a late 60’s Buick. Although it worked and cleared the exhaust, it was very bulky and probably would interfere with a future P/B booster. I settled on the 3-piece bracket that holds the more modern pump and still clears the exhaust. I found a single pulley for this pump later. November 2008: The left valve cover was occasionally rubbing the firewall, and the transmission shifter wasn’t centered in the floor cutout either. I knew I could shift the body some when I did the body bushings, but figured the motor mounts should be replaced anyway. The new motor mounts have a failsafe bracket built into them.