Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by tripilio, Nov 6, 2018.
Stock 15gal should go in no problem. Is this the bigger tank 20+? What year is it from?
I bought it from a lady who said it was a 76.
Just looking at specs on QuadraTec and the '76-77 tank is 19" tall. The '78 and later is 16" tall.
I already bought the hoses, filler neck and all. I believe the latter tanks have a smaller tube? If that is the case I will have to deal with it as is. Maybe a combination of thicker mounts and the removal of the rib section will do the trick.
If you aren’t wheeling much you could just make some spacers to drop the tank lower.
That was my first thought, but the gas inlet is borderline touching the frame barely letting the hose in. Unless I severely modify the frame, I do not see how it can be lowered.
I started to test a " new in the family" speedometer cluster I bought recently and originally it seemed that the fuel gauge was not working. I did a little research here and found a very interesting post(s) by timgr with very detailed instructions and ohm values to test both fuel and temperature gauges. I thought that I would like to try and make a simpler one. Instead of fixed resistance and steps I bought a potentiometer in the 0-100 (actually reads 110 at the end) and gave it a try. First try and the fuel gauge did not move. Bummer. I thought that the reason maybe was that I was using as a power supply a battery charger that only supplies 10.5 vdc, but when I tried the temperature gauge it moved nice and easy as I played with the pot. I will still bring the whole pile to work tomorrow and try a real 12 vdc power supply but I have the suspicion that the fuel gauge is toast. Pics now...
I just bought an NOS temperature gauge on the bay and it happens that what I need is the fuel one!
I decided to go my own way and use 2x4 galvanized channels. I did not follow the original design for obvious reasons and also to enhance the floor support. I drilled the holes with the tub on and welded some tube sections inside to prevent crushing. I am pleased the way it resulted.
Some updates: the hood is almost ready for paint, the grill is good as it is.
The tub is finally fixed with 1/2 inch spacers and carriage bolts. The thick spacers helped clear the gas tank interference in addition to the modification I had to do to one of the ribs if the bed.
Some hiding of my sub-par body work...
In all seriousness, my tub was horrible when I started and I am not looking for a museum piece. As long as it looks decent, I'm good.
I had an inspector checking my work...
Getting closer to final assembly and paint! Sealed some seams.
Sanded some filler...
looks good . excellent dash too
Thanks! The dash was one of the few "untouched" parts I got. Most of the body was gone or banged up.
Awesome to see so much progress - the body is really looking good!
Thanks, but I need to stop nitpicking. I tell myself over and over I do jot want "perfect" but I keep sanding...
Separate names with a comma.