Discussion in 'Builds and Fabricators Forum' started by Focker, Jul 23, 2016.
Changed the rear exhaust tail pipes to exit 90 degrees left and right. Sits up higher than the way I had it with the angled downward tips.
Yes. It’s a Scorpion screwdriver antenna. Rotates length wise to tune the bands.
Got to get around to finishing mine someday, nothing like running down the road in a jeep working 80m
Finished building and installing seat frames today.
also adjusted the bends on the transfer case sticks so I could move the passenger seat slightly lower and more inboard and even with the drivers seat.
Took JEEP for a drive today with the wife, my house to Silver Lake up off HWY 88, about 2 hour drive one way. Drove great, maintained 55/60 mph pulling the hills, only used 9 gallons of gas round trip, 184 miles. Only complaint, with the soft YJ springs it wants to unload in corners if speed to high making it a hand full. I think I’m ready for Deer Valley trip, except for e-brake, I’ll work on that this week.
maybe add a front stabilizer bar if you don't already have one.
I have one in garage one of my buddies gave me. I need to sit down and figure out where it will fit.
Before I tackled a front stabilizer.......I installed the Rancho 9000 dial adjustable shocks on the front of my '75. I got them cheap from Rock Auto.
What a HUGE difference that made on mine , with the same problem you stated . I set them on 7 & have not needed to change them since .
Your right, I need to look at my shocks as they were used when I got them. They might need replacing.
Most of my driving is around the neighborhood, so I’ve had my windshield down a lot. But no matter how tight I strap it down to the footman loop on the hood, it rattles like crazy. the rattle is definitely coming from the hinges, so I made some buckle thingys to keep things quiet. Works great so far.
Picked up a set of motor mounts from a 1968 CJ5 with a 225 V6 in it. This is for my CJ2A project. Also picked up a 225 V6 flywheel. he may have a 231 OF motor but I ran out of time to get the casting numbers so he is going to do that for me.
Got my bellhousing today along with another set of V6 motor mounts. Picked up a flywheel locally which saved a lot in shipping expense. Still waiting to see if a local guy has a 231 OF motor. He wants to check the castings to be sure just what the motor is.
Today, a temp flat repair. Rather than swaping in the spare tire, I did a flat repair over a 1-inch long fast leaking tear. Tear was not clean through, and the cords and plys were holding (which I why I'm trying an external patch). These tires are very-old and worn, date code is 2004 or 2009, bfg Krawler tires on a new to me Jeep. This tire began leaking just after finishing a 130 mile flat tow. Luckly, for me that Posi waited to have a front-flat AFTER the flat tow and not during. Repair needs to hold for short 10 minute drive to the tire shop. Plan is to fit a new set of 35x12.50 BFG KO3s muds on not black wheels.
Well I was in Colorado for about a week. After getting home, I dropped the oil pan on the CJ2A because it was dumping oil out of the rear main when running. Like if you sat in one spot for 15 seconds you would have a puddle. I found the rear main to be of the "improved" type, which is a neoprene cone essentially, and it was mangled, it had obviously been spinning at some point. I tried to install a new one and mangled it by accident. According to the CJ2 forums, these "new and improved" neoprene seals tend to be far too tight and the best bet is either another rope seal which will leak but at a slow rate or a lip type nitrile seal from "best seals". So I'm currently waiting on that to come in.
The XJ's ignition switch took a crap on me while out running errands. Good thing I know how to hot wire an XJ and have the security torx bits I need for such things. Orilley's had me a new ignition switch same day it was back up and running properly before bedtime.
The CJ5's clutch linkage was getting sloppy. So found the pivot that I replaced 2 years ago completely worn and looking like an egg inspected of a sphere. I'm surprised it hadn't fallen apart yet. Went to Atwoods (when the ignition switch went bad) and picked up a heimjoint to replace it. Much better now. Less than 2 years of operation had done the other part in. Buyer beware when dealing with OMIX/Crown parts for sure.
Today after work I pulled the left rear spring pack that broke the main leaf at Buck Island Lake on the Jeepers Jamboree. We were in some twisty domed rocks when we heard a snap, and the main was broken clean in two about 8 inches from the rear shackle. We limped it into the Buck repair station, and since they were busy eating and drinking, I borrowed some Harris Super Missileweld rod, and their trailer mounted welder, and commenced to cobble together a pretty solid trail fix.
This rod is almost for the trail fix on problem steels, like springs. I wrapped the pack with some angle, and some flat on top, so if it broke again, it was still wrapped. I also welded the top 2 leaves together.
Anyway, this rod will be travelling with me from now on, it was easy to weld, and everything held for the remainder of the trail, which only got tougher from that point on.
Got the oil leaks on the CJ2 squared away and been using it to move brush around the property and most importantly hauling the kids around because they bug me multiple times a day for a "Jeep ride in the CJ2".
I installed an electric windshield washer pump. My old factory hand pump was starting to leak.
Separate names with a comma.